Various Topics

Thursday, February 16, 2006

New experiences and concepts learned

When we write sometimes we can see things in our own way, and it is easy for us to persuade us into believing that we have done the best. If we come to the point, where our progress in writing becomes static and our view becomes limited, then as a result our perspective could be distorted as well.
For the last couple of weeks we have been working in elaborating our own essay. The purpose of elaborating this essay is to follow the rhetorical guidelines that we have learned in class. Our instructor has requested for us to assist one another by participating in a peer review. This was something new to me and even though I experience some kind of hesitation at the beginning, I learned to accept it. Later on, I realized that this was an opportunity to have a new perspective and to obtain a feedback that would assist me in improving my paper.
When I was reviewing my classmate paper, I could not help it, but to see myself in this other person paper. I realized that sometimes, we intend to write some things, however our message becomes a slightly different than the one intended. I admit that is always helpful to have other person to review what you have wrote, and to verify if what you wrote reflects the original idea, that was intended to transmit to others.
This is a good way to learn to take other people inputs and suggestions. Even though that sometimes we just want to hear about the good points, it is helpful to learn also about own mistakes and flaws. Fallacy is our new concept in our rhetorical class. But what is a fallacy? According to the New Webster’s New World Dictionary the definition of fallacy is: a mistaken idea; error, a flaw in reasoning. Our textbook titled: Everything’s an Argument: refers to fallacy as a controversial argument and sometimes is also called as a flash point or hotspot. Fallacies could be considered as flash points because they raise questions about the ethics of arguments____that is, whether a particular strategy or argument is fair, accurate, or principled. We have been studying different types of fallacies and my intend was not to write about every single one but just to review the general definition in order to refresh my mind about the concept.
I believe that the peer exercises are helpful because is not just equipping us new analytical skills but also critique skills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home